The Writers’ Co-op is a sub-committee of the HHL&LC that hosts free, public writing workshops at Hart House throughout the academic year. We are student-run and collaborate with Toronto artists like Ronna Bloom, Avi Silver, and Sienna Tristen. Our workshops span many topics, such as world-building, poetry, prose, and short-fiction. Our Come Write With Us! events are also an opportunity for students to gather and work on their writing, be it academic essays or personal projects. Our workshops are a place for learning, exploring, and sharing, and we hope you join us for our upcoming programming.
Fearless worldbuilding: a WRITER’S CO-OP workshop WITH RONNA BLOOM
How do you plug back into your power when you’re running low? Where does the energy come from? Do you need a poetry infusion, a bit of support, a burst of brightness? Take some time and get sparked by poetry, and by the actions and ideas of others. Through writing and engaging lightly with words and people, begin again.
Ronna Bloom is a poet and teacher. Her most recent book, The More (Pedlar Press, 2017) was longlisted for the City of Toronto Book Award. Her poems have been recorded by the CNIB, and have been translated into Spanish, Bangla, and Chinese. Ronna created the Poet in Residence program at Sinai Health and is currently the Poet in Community to the University of Toronto.
THE DECENT EXPOSURE WORKSHOP: APPLICATIONS OPEN!
Are you an emerging writer looking to hone your craft? This year, Hart House will be offering Decent Exposure, an online creative writing workshop put on by emerging professional writers currently enrolled in the Creative Writing Master’s Program at the University of Toronto. Over the course of this six-week workshop, participants will get an opportunity to receive both written and verbal feedback on their own work, as well as taking part in discussions and exercise meant to increase their understanding of the mechanics of writing. Those accepted to be part of the workshop are expected to commit to attending the workshop on a bi-weekly basis during the Winter (S) Semester, as well as reading, annotating, and offering throughout feedback on the work of their peers.
To apply, please download and fill out the form linked below and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
the decent exposure workshop: 2021 journal
A compilation of short fiction and poetry, contributed by students in the semester-long Decent Exposure creative writing workshop organized by the Writer’s Co-op!
- Be Good to Yourself, Whoever You Are with Ronna BloomIn this workshop with U of T’s poet-in-community Ronna Bloom, through the use of poems and prompts, participats wrote and reflected on what sustains them, what they love and what they need, taking […]
- The Worldbuilding of Wakanda: Black Panther and AfrofuturismAs part of the Hart House Black Futures series, the Writer’s Co-op Worldbuilding of Wakanda panel with speakers Antoine Bandele, Stephanie Chrismon, and Rashid Mohiddin explored how elements of science fiction and fantasy […]
- Finding Light in the Darkness with Ronna BloomRonna Bloom, U of T’s inimitable poet-in-community, held this Writer’s Co-op social in December in order to bring the light in by reading poetry and leading writing exercises. Keep an eye out for […]
- Lingua Fantastica: How to Construct a Fictional LanguageIn October, Sienna Tristen, fantasy author and linguist by training, came back with her partner Avi Silver for a brand-new workshop at Hart House. In this two-part series, they discussed the benefits and […]
- Intentional Worldbuilding: Creating a Fictional WorldOver the course of three weeks, Writer’s Co-op favorites Avi Silver and Sienna Tristen, creators of multimedia storytelling platform The Shale Project, ran this workshop series focused on navigating the complexities of building […]